Our eLab development team’s efforts are driven by customer input and a constantly changing world of technology. Sometimes new features are introduced in a scheduled manner, while other times they are rolled out on short notice due to customer needs and changes in technology. Our release notes reflect this blended approach to software development.
Release Notes (July 29, 2020)
- Ebook integration. An ebook link can now be added to Canvas, Blackboard, Moodle, and D2L courses using our LMS integration tools. The link is readily available when setting up new integrations or can easily be added to an existing course by following the "Selecting eLab Resources to Add" sections of the instructor integration guides. Once an ebook link is added, both instructors and students can easily open their ebook from within their LMS course.
Release Notes (July 13, 2020)
- Canvas LTI 1.3 integration. Like previous versions, our Canvas LTI 1.3 integration enables you and your students to access eLab easily and securely directly through your Canvas LMS without additional login, and to seamlessly transfer grades from eLab to Canvas. Our latest release offers the following enhancements:
- Institution Level Setup. You no longer need to do individual setup for every instructor. With our Global Key, setup can apply to your entire institution.
- Transfer of Raw Scores AND Percentage Scores. The availability of deep linking within LTI 1.3 enables the transfer of both raw scores and percentages to your Canvas LMS.
- Improved Grade Syncing. Upgrades to the LTI framework will result in fewer situations where grades do not sync, reducing the frequency of manual grade syncing.
- Enhanced Security. LTI 1.3 meets the new IMS Security Framework requirements which include the industry standard protocol IETF OAuth 2.0 for authentication services and JSON Web Tokens (JWT) for secure message signing. It also adopts the Open ID Connect workflow paradigm.
- Improved Support for Manual Grade Transfers. Occasionally issues occur which prevent the automated transfer of grades from eLab to your LMS. Examples of issues include a student bypassing your LMS and logging directly into eLab, and situations where your LMS might be experiencing downtime (as noted above the LTI 1.3 release should lessen the frequency of these occurrences).
Previously, these issues required confirming the issue via eLab Technical Support, and then waiting until our development team could address it. With this release, you can now:
- Verify grade transfers from your eLab instructor dashboard – no need to contact eLab Technical Support to confirm that grades did or did not transfer.
- Respond immediately to students who report that their grade is not showing up in their LMS.
- Get faster response on requests for manual transfer of grades to your LMS. Our response times for manual grade transfers has been reduced to within 24 business hours. Our Admin/Instructor Guide (1.3) is designed to lead system admins through the process of setting up the integration on an institutional level. All instructors will then be able to use the eLab app to incorporate eLab resource links within their Canvas course(s).
Release Notes (June 11, 2020)
- LMS Grades Transfer. We added a new tool for Instructors to resend grades from eLab to their external LMS. This applies to assignments and tests only. This tool can be found in the left navigation menu under Assistants and Tools.
Release Notes (June 8, 2020)
- Canvas Global Key. System Admins now have the ability to complete the eLab integration on an institutional level. This option is available if instructors do not have access to setting up the app themselves.
Release Notes (April 3, 2020)
New and Enhanced Features and Tools
Pest Control (Those Annoying Bugs)
Assignment resubmission has been fixed so instructors can set individual resubmission for a student without changing the resubmission date for the entire class or removing the resubmissions from the assignment. - Students are no longer able to duplicate the test page.